– an Anglican priest, pilgrimage leader and prayer guide. Welcome to his website!
Like many priests I have developed materials for Christian education and formation, and the main purpose of this website is to make these materials available to anyone who might find them helpful. They are freely available for use in parishes or by individuals. I also give details of recent and forthcoming pilgrimages, retreats and publications. New material is added from time to time, and details are given on this page.
1. ‘Corona Season’ – while the churches are closed, I will be posting a weekly Sunday Service. Previous services can be accessed on the Talks page.
PENTECOST read now
2. Books – Two new publications, one recent, one soon to be published:
MEDARD’S JOURNEY – Reflections on the Pilgrim Way to Santiago de Compostela
Published in the autumn of 2019, Médard’s Journey brings together the talks that I gave on the 2014 and 2019 pilgrimages. It is based on the experiences of two medieval pilgrims, Médard, a wool merchant from La Chaise Dieu, and Robert, Under-Steward to the Vicompte Beaucaire. The reflections help us to enter into the world of medieval pilgrimage, and explore the spiritual journey of the two pilgrims – their questions and concerns have quite a contemporary ring! Details and a Review on the Pilgrimage page. (Dec ’19)
LIGHT IN THE DARKNESS – Exploring the Path of Christian Hope
For the last few years I have been working on a book on hope, which, I am pleased to say, is to be published by Sacristy Press in late June/early July.
To be human is to hope. Taking to heart the petition in the Lord’s Prayer that the Kingdom shall come on earth as it is in heaven, I ask what it means to place our hope in Christ. What does it mean for human society and for us individually if we really want heaven on earth? The Christian hope is often thought of simply as a hope for the life to come, but, I argue, if we are true to Jesus’ prayer, then our hope cannot be limited to the life to come, but is also for the life here and now – as the Christian Aid slogan put it, We believe in life before death.
An excellent study; insightful, scholarly, sensible and written in a style that is a joy to read. Erudite and full of wisdom, the connections it makes between scripture and today’s world offer much for careful reflection. – Bishop Laurie Green
Go to the Books page for a longer version of this introduction. (March ’20)
3. Pilgrimage Page – EXODUS, the talks that I gave on a pilgrimage to Sinai and Jordan in the footsteps of Moses in 2009. (Jan ’20)
4. Spirituality Page – BIBLICAL SPIRITUALITY, a talk that I gave to SPIDIR, the Southwark Spirituality Network, has been added. It identifies four characteristics of a Biblically based spirituality: Trust, Incarnation, Righteousness and Liberation. (Oct ’19)
5. Benedict Page – LEADERSHIP IN THE BENEDICTINE TRADITION – the essay which I contributed to Theonomics (Sacristy Press, 2014) has been added to the Leadership sub-page. (July ’19)